The internal energy of a gas decreases by 204 J. How much energy transfered by heat and work done by gas?
- The internal energy of a gas decreases by 204 J.
a) If the process is adiabatic, how much energy is transferred as heat? Answer in units of J.
b) How much work is done on or by the gas?
Answer in units of J.
Answer by phat tonez
204 J of energy as work because 0 J transferred by heat in an adiabatic process.
- A typical hot-air balloon has a volume of 15.7 m^3 when inflated. How much work (in J) must be done to inflate the balloon when atmospheric pressure is 701 torr?
Answer by Jerry Lee
Work is force times distance.
133.322368 pascals * 701 Torr/pascal
1Pa = 1N/m^2
133 * 701 * 15.7 Nm (J)
- During an isothermal compression of an ideal gas, 335 J of heat must be removed from the gas to maintain a constant temperature. How much work is done by the gas during the process?
Answer by schmiso
W = – 335 J
Change in internal energy of the gas equals heat added minus work done by the gas:
∆U = Q – W
The internal energy for an ideal gas given by:
U = n∙Cv∙T
∆U = n∙Cv∙∆T
(n number of moles Cv molar heat capacity at constant volume)
So the change in internal energy for an ideal gas undergoing an isothermal process is zero.
∆U = Q – W = 0
W = Q = -335 J
Q is negative because the 335 are removed from the gas.
- On my ERB I have a “J” under Physical Catagory. What does this stand for?
Answer by Billy
it means you j-off to much
- What kinds of stores would you recommend that are similar to J-Crew and Anthropoligie? I really appreciate simplicity but really like unique statement pieces. I am willing to invest but at the same time on a budget. I really like clothing that are more modest but as I am a college student I don’t want to look as if I stepped out of some period drama. I don’t really like to shop in person, so if you recommend some great websites I would be eternally grateful.
Answer by JL
Martin Osa. GAP has turned itself around. Club Monaco. You can try Zara but I find their stuff to be low quality for the price. With the exception of the first two, the last two only have lookbooks online.
Madewell is J. Crew’s side project. Might be worth checking out.
Edit: Lands End Canvas is new and looks promising. Might be worth checking out.